Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] [Boost.Hana] Formal review request
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-03 16:16:32

On 3 Aug 2014 at 8:48, Robert Ramey wrote:

> My real goal is to convince the C++ community that any library which
> includes templates as part of the user interface must have explicit type
> constraints in order to be considered for formal review. I want to see
> type constraints be understood and appreciated by the C++ user community
> in general rather than a small group who spend years disputing how to
> implement the idea.

I strongly disagree with this idea if by "type constraints" you mean
"error out if it doesn't fit" which apparently you do. That isn't
really concepts at all in my opinion, it's just some sort of super
static assert.

We are still in the very early days of concepts, language support
isn't even in there yet - it is like trying to standardise exception
handling before the language gained support. Once the TS is finished
and accepted and we know exactly what will be in the language, then
is the time to start thinking about formal review requirements. i.e.
at least two or three years from now.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting