Subject: Re: [boost] [container] New container: why is everybody silent?
From: Aleksandr Kupriianov (alexkupri_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-18 05:03:32

Nigel Stewart <nigels.com <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Just curious if this container might be better suited to sorting (and
> re-sorting) than a std::vector.

btree_seq is better than vector in insert/delete intensive applications. Since
sorting does not require insert/delete, btree_seq will be comparable (but
slower) with vector in sorting.

> And, I guess, for containers of large structs that are relatively
> expensive to copy or swap by value?

I expect that after including btree_seq into boost, ptr_btree_seq will be built
upon the btree_seq, like ptr_vector upon vector. Leaves of ptr_btree_seq will
physically contain only pointers to the large objects, but the container will
have the same interface as btree_seq. (This should not take much effort, since
ptr_* implementation already exists for vector.)