Subject: Re: [boost] Problem with BOOST_NO_CXX11_VARIADIC_TEMPLATES in gcc.hpp
From: Richard Hadsell (hadsell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-25 11:42:15

On 08/23/2014 04:58 AM, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On Saturday 23 August 2014 09:40:34 John Maddock wrote:
>> If this is a GCC specific bug, then I'm inclined to suggest that this is
>> what BOOST_WORKAROUND is for: unless there are a lot of libraries
>> needing this, or there's a consensus that variadic templates should be
>> disabled altogether prior to 4.7?
> I have a similar macro
> BOOST_LOG_NO_CXX11_ARG_PACKS_TO_NON_VARIADIC_ARGS_EXPANSION in Boost.Log. To
> my knowledge, this is a gcc-specific issue.
>
> I don't think that variadic templates should be disabled for gcc prior to 4.7,
> even with this problem, since the implementation is sufficient for many use
> cases.
I'm not a Boost developer, but it makes sense that this belongs with other workarounds. The GCC C++11 support table claims that 4.4 supports variadic templates. GCC treated the problem as a bug, whose report claims it is fixed in 4.7.0. That seems
appropriate for a workaround. Since at least 2 libraries already need this workaround, I think it's reasonable to replace the library-specific macros with a general workaround macro.

Whatever the final decision, I would eventually like to know how to patch my copy of 1.56.0, including your fix for gcc.hpp.

--
Dick Hadsell			203-992-6320  Fax: 203-992-6001
Reply-to:			hadsell_at_[hidden]