Subject: Re: [boost] [build] Running b2 with particular toolset invokes other toolsets in user-config.jam
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-26 17:23:03

On 8/26/2014 3:16 PM, Steven Watanabe wrote:
> AMDG
>
> On 08/26/2014 11:40 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> I brought up this issue on the Boost build mailing list and it was
>> eventually ignored, so I will bring it up here again.
>>
>> If I run "b2 toolset=sometoolset" Boost Build ends up invoking other
>> toolsets in my user-config.jam along with "sometoolset" to do the build.
>> This invoking of other toolsets seems not only a waste of time and
>> unnecessary but also wrong in the sense that the invoking of some other
>> toolset in user-config.jam may produce an error. I do not understand the
>> necessity for invoking other toolsets in user-config.jam when I have
>> specified the toolset I want.
>>

> Boost.Build should only build with the
> toolsets that you specify. (Unless a
> Jamfile explicitly overrides it, which
> shouldn't happen anywhere in Boost.)
> I've never encountered anything like this.

I did not mean to imply that it was building with some other toolset but
that it is executing some other executables mentioned in my
user-config.jam, for what reason I do not understand. I posted the
result of:

b2 --debug-configuration toolset=gcc-4.8.1

on the Boost Build forum after asked to do so but never heard anything
further. The output shows that clang is being executed for some reason
or other.