Subject: [boost] Reviews and Boost Library Incubator was [review] [vmd] Last day of review period
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-30 15:32:49

Steven Watanabe-4 wrote
> The limited amount of feedback has been
> generally positive, but I haven't seen
> any full reviews, yet. If anyone is
> planning to review the library, please
> let me know.

I don't think that a library could possible be accepted without even one
formal review.

Actually, I don't think its a good idea to accept a library without some N
formal reviews.
In the past, some libraries have been accepted with as little as 2 reviews -
to boosts
detriment I think. N is debatable of course. I'm thinking an N = 4-9.

Edward already has his library in the incubator so it should be around
indefinitely
while it can garner reviews over time. Hopefully this would accumulate an
number of reviews >= N.

So, the question arises of how to get those who download libraries through
the
incubator to write reviews. There are few things we could do:

a) encourage usage of the incubator to accumulate the comments which appear
in the thread for this library. This will keep them around permanently in a
well known place. Comments will encourage potential users to use the
library
and this in turn will increase more comments and reviews - hopefully to N.

b) The incubator needs some infrastructure improvements to help the review
process
    1) For each library, statistics to indicate how many uses have browsed
the
document ion and how many times the library has been downloaded. This
information
is not provided by all the repositories used (like github) but I think we
can
add on to the current statistics engine to provide this information.
(BTW - we really need this information for all the current boost libraries
as well).
    2) enhancing the built-in email system to nag users who have downloaded
libraries to make formal reviews or at least comment.

The above are on my list. If there are any wordpress gurus out there who
want to help, I would appreciate it.

c) I would like to see a press release from the Boost Steering commute
regarding
 the Boost Library Incubatorsent to ioscpp.org, drdobbs.com and perhaps
others.

I realize that I'm a little bit off topic here -