Subject: Re: [boost] [quickbook] miss-generated headings?
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-01 14:01:19

On 1 September 2014 17:40, John Maddock <jz.maddock_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I have a problem with quickbook code that has [h6 ...] elements in it -
> these end up being larger in both html and pdf output than [h5 ] blocks
> which is not so good :-(
>
> From what I can tell, [h5 ] actually produces html <h6> and [h6 ] produces
> html <h5>.

Looks like there's no 'h6' in docbook, the headings generate
'bridgehead' elements, which only have 5 levels of nesting, specified
by the 'renderas' attribute:

www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/bridgehead.html

I think that 'h1' is the title, then 'h2' is 'sect1', 'h3' is 'sect2', etc.

It might be possible that we could put something in our xsl to handle
further levels.

> BTW I realise [h6 ] is a lot of nesting, but the current stylesheet make
> <h6> quite a bit larger than surrounding text, so <h7> seems to be not
> beyond the realms of possibility?

HTML headings only go up to 'h6'. We could possibly have 'h6' with a
special class, but that won't convey the document structure to
anything that reads the document, and there's a limit to how small we
can go.

I think quickbook could actually be a bit smarter about automatic
heading levels, I think it tends to treat things as more heavily
nested than they should be. The best level to use is probably
dependent on how the docbook gets chunked (or formatted in pdfs),
which is not known at the time.