Subject: Re: [boost] [asio] RFC on new reliable UDP library
From: Rodrigo Madera (rodrigo.madera_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-09 14:03:21

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

Niall,

Looks very interesting and I would love to see that lib happen.

I believe in building up on knowledge recursively. So the first thing I
would do is read on the enormous effort ZeroMQ [1] has put into analysing
this problem domain. They have a (very) large set of material debating and
explaining design decisions made on the library. After that, there is
nanomsg [2], which is a derivative work from the lessons learned from
ZeroMQ itself. Have you read through those in search of insights? It would
be a very good source of debate material for this brand new library. There
are problems they have encountered already, though you may decide to solve
them differently.

Of course, that is if you haven't read that already. It just reminded me of
how many insights these guys had in all the years they spent using and
creating network middleware code. And basing a new network library off of
this knowledge could be good.

About the language, I would totally look forward into C++11 and up design.

Best wishes,
Rodrigo Madera

[1] http://zeromq.org
[2] http://nanomsg.org/index.html