Subject: Re: [boost] [EXTERNAL] [testing] mpl/core tests not visible
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-15 11:53:39

On Monday 15 September 2014 15:30:26 Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
wrote:
> > On Monday 15 September 2014 14:15:48 Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
> >> On Sep 14, 2014, at 1:46 AM, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
> >>
> >> Yes, that does sound like the issue. So, what do you think we should do
> >> about it?
> >
> > As I suggested in another reply, I think we should add 'b2 headers' to the
> > testing scripts as a hotfix. I'd create a pull request, but I have no idea
> > how the testing works and where this command should be added.
>
> I‘m not in favor of a workaround, we need to fix this so the missing MPL
> headers are all installed.

You sounded like we needed a solution ASAP. This is the quickest way to fix it
that I know.

> > The long term fix is probably figure out why the headers target is not
> > built first before process_jam_log (I described my theory in another
> > reply) and fix it. This will probably require attention of the
> > Boost.Build team.
>
> So the header target is being built, it just installs significantly less
> than the full set of MPL headers.

I'm not a Boost.Build expert, but since 'b2 headers' does the right thing and
building the regression tools does not, I'd say that headers target is not
invoked in the second case.

> You can replicate this by:
>
> 0) rm -f bin* boost
> 1) cd tools/regression/build
> 2) b2 -q
> 3) notice that this directory is missing: boost/mpl/aux_/preprocessed
>
> If we can get boost/mpl/aux_/preprocessed installed, I think that’s the
> preferable fix.

I'll try a few experiments with Boost.Build to see if I can invoke the headers
target prior to the testing tools.