Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Are modular releases a goal or a non-goal?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-17 19:32:17

On 17 Sep 2014 at 22:40, Stephen Kelly wrote:

> And I get all of it. There are no separate 'modular Boost' tarballs so that
> I can download what I want and not what I don't.
>
> Is something similar to this a goal or a non-goal for 'Boost
> modularization'?

I have begun weekend work as I said I would on my clang AST parser
based C++11-STL-to-Boost bindings generator. These enable one to map
the C++ 11 STL into a namespace (either library-local or just
namespace boost) as if it were Boost, thus eliminating the need for
the rest of Boost.

I am aiming to split off AFIO, Expected and Thread as standalone
STL-only libraries first in that order - this approach does require
source code changes (mostly regex find and replace). I don't
personally need any of the other Boost libraries, so it'll be up to
others if they wish to reuse my tools to do the same for their
libraries.

Once the tools are ready (hopefully early 2015) I'll mount a simple,
automated website which provides an alternative distro for Boost
libraries where you tick boxes to create whatever distro you want a
bit like with jQuery. I'll also rank libraries according to the
automatically calculated quality scoring metrics I outlined on this
list some months ago. And the C++ 11 only fork of Boost I proposed
some months ago will be on its way.

Note that this proposed website shall make use of AJAX calls into the
existing Boost infrastructure, so it's a thin rather than thick fork.
My biggest bugbear with the status quo is the lack of automatic
deprecation of insufficiently maintained libraries and lack of
automatic entry of high quality new libraries. I have no wish to
supplant anything else, including community review. And joining the
fork does not require leaving the current Boost distro, in fact as
the fork has no build system, it means you can't use it for
non-header-only libraries, so we'll still be relying on the main
distro for unit testing etc.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting