Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Are modular releases a goal or a non-goal?
From: Stephen Kelly (hello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-18 06:05:17

Niall Douglas wrote:

> Oh now I see what you're saying. You're saying that the git submodule
> boost.thread should be separately downloadable as boost-thread.zip
> right?

I am asking if that is a goal or a non-goal.

>> > So I'm pressing ahead with my own solution - I specifically want
>> > single git submodule dependencies, so when I throw together a Boost
>> > using project I merely need to submodule a single Boost git submodule
>> > and it just works with no arsing around with bootstrapping or config
>> > or staging.
>>
>> And the user will be responsible for adding the individual -Ifoo/include
>> paths?
>
> Include paths are straightforward. My tool replicates the boost
> header structure into a faked boost/* directory include structure, so
> you simply use a different -Ipath and you're good to go.

Let's say I want to use boostfoo and boostbar which you make available as
standalone libraries in boostfoo.git and boostbar.git and I want to use both
of them in myproj, which also uses git.

So, you say the steps are:

1) I add boostfoo.git and boostbar.git as submodules to myproj.git
2) I run some tool to create a faked boost/ directory
3) I add -Ipath to my buildsystem for that faked boost directory.

So, I need the tool at step 2, right? And when I also need boostflub.git I
need to run it again? Or are you instead saying that the steps are

1) I add boostfoo.git and boostbar.git as submodules to myproj.git
2) I add -Ipath/foo and -Ipath/bar to my buildsystem

In other words "the user will be responsible for adding the individual -
Ifoo/include paths?" as I wrote before?

Thanks,

Steve.