Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Are modular releases a goal or a non-goal?
From: Thijs van den Berg (thijs_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-22 08:24:31

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Stephen Kelly <hello_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Thanks for your response too. I agree what you want would be nice, but what
> you want seems to be non-goals for boost.
>
> That's why I would like to hear from others why boost migrated to git. What
> goals or purpose did that serve? Did it only serve some goals for the
> developer perspective (ie, not any goals for the users of boost)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve.

Thanks Steve, I agree that possible future goals is a different discussion
from historical objectives.

I think historically the purpose was purely for modular developers: I
remember that Julian Gonggrijp referred to discussions with you
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/251366/match=git
  and suggested :
"In order to use Boost in a truly modular way, a developer would rather
just clone only the libraries she needs
(including dependencies)."