Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Are modular releases a goal or a non-goal?
From: alex (alexhighviz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-25 05:02:59

>Sadly, I think that users haven't seen any benefits - yet.

I can see some potential benefits though:

- Some users make a distinction between good-Boost and bad-Boost: they allow
the use of some parts of Boost, but not others. I would think these users
are helped by a degree of modularity that makes hem confident that by
getting good-Boost they are not pulling in bad-Boost. See for instance the
Google Style Guide:
http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/cppguide.html#Boost

- Well defined modularity might also make them less suspicious of parts that
are currently considered bad-Boost.

- As a Boost user you might find it easier to convince your organization to
allow the use of specified parts of Boost rather than Boost-whole.

- As a non-Boost library developer you might be more happy to tell your
users to get specific parts of Boost, rather than Boost-whole.