Subject: Re: [boost] questions regarding dependency reports(s)
From: Stephen Kelly (hello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-27 05:28:02

Robert Ramey wrote:

> I've been looking at the question of "dependencies" and I would
> like to know a little more about how they are generated.
>
> b) http://www.steveire.com/boost/2014sept16_serialization.png
>
> b) produces a very intimidating graph. I'm not sure what the
> rules are for it's generation. I'm guessing that it uses dependencies
> at the library level rather than the *.cpp level which might make
> things look worse than they are.

The dependencies shown are 'interface' dependencies between git repos.

for each git repo 'R':
  for each file 'F' in 'R/include/boost':
    if 'F' #includes a file in git repo 'D':
      draw an edge from 'R' to 'D'

I did add some special cases for mplcore, which no longer exists, etc.

Checking the files in 'R/src/' in addition does not change much. In
particular for serialization, it does not add any edges.

I think the rules for Peters tool are similar, so my output should simply be
a graph version of the same information he's producing.

Thanks,

Steve.