Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] request for a new modularization status for develop branch
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-29 11:09:17

Hi Robert,

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Vicente Botet wrote
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > could you upload a new modularization status, as in
> > http://www.pdimov.com/tmp/report-d53f656/module-levels.html ?
> >
> > Best,
> > Vicente
>
> I find this extremely interesting. Can we add this project to the boost
> tools as we have for BCP?

The tool itself is in tools/boostdep, but I haven't written any
documentation yet.

> A couple of questions:
> a) Level 11 - looks like there's a cycle for the
> algorithm->range->algorithm and some others. But since this is by module
> I'm not sure this is true.

The range -> algorithm dependency has been removed by a recent pull request
from Stephen Kelly, so this cycle has at least been taken care of.

> b) of the different ways of counting dependency we've described - which is
> this? That is it just headers? or doesn't include the library
> implementation.

Just headers.

> c) Does this mean that to build a module at level N it is sufficient and
> necessary to have available all the modules at levels less than N ?

Not necessarily to build, as it only tracks headers. If you include a header
of level N, compilation should succeed if you have everything <= N
installed, assuming prebuilt or header-only libraries. In the absence of
cycles, it would be < N.

> d) probably off topic, but level 14 shows serialization dependent upon
> spirit. OK I get that. But it also shows spirit dependent upon
> serialization - what's up with that?

http://www.pdimov.com/tmp/report-d53f656/spirit.html#serialization

<boost/spirit/home/support/detail/lexer/serialise.hpp> includes
<boost/serialization/vector.hpp>.

There is a newer report at
http://www.pdimov.com/tmp/report-d5ca5be/module-levels.html by the way.