Subject: Re: [boost] Update on status of C++ 11 only Boost fork/modular distro
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-10-07 13:11:17

On 7 Oct 2014 at 11:46, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira wrote:

> > Once I've succeeded with that, if the present situation with Boost
> > has not improved by then, I'll press ahead with a new Boost distro
> > website which score ranks Boost modules according to the scoring
> > manifest I outlined on this list some months ago, and lets you
> > download standalone Boost distros of your choice. Obviously only
> > libraries ported to be standalone capable would be available, so I
> > would hope that if I can demonstrate an easy port with Boost.Thread,
> > others may follow with their libraries.
> >

> If the independent libraries will be "Boost-free", then what will their
> build system be?

Said libraries need to be header only, so no build system needed.
Makes things much simpler.

Some may observe that surely boost_system must be needed as it is a
dependency of most header only Boost libraries, so you always end up
having to find a copy from somewhere even with pure header only usage
of Boost. Thanks to the namespace binder that goes away as it uses
the STL system_error instead. My only remaining showstopper is
Filesystem actually, if your library uses Filesystem you currently
have little choice but to link the Boost Filesystem library except on
MSVC which bundles a Filesystem implementation.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/