Subject: Re: [boost] NT² eand Boost.SIMD release 3.1
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-10-17 01:47:20

On 16/10/2014 18:19, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 10/7/2014 9:48 AM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
>> We're not focusing on expression templates for now, but the plan is to
>> roll our own set of types instead of using Proto's, and just make them
>> Proto-compatible (minus the proto_grammar typedef).
>>
>> The two things that affect compilation speed the most are the amount of
>> templates instantiated and the symbol length.
>
> I think it's time for proto-14, using Louis Dionne's
> generalized-lambdas-as-tuples tricks from Hana as a basis. That would
> *vastly* improve compile times and shrink symbol lengths to almost nothing.

I've tried the lambda trick to hide symbols, it doesn't actually work.
It does work with MSVC, which affects a UUID for each lambda, but with
GCC/Clang the name of a lambda contains the name of the function it is
created in, which also contains the type of the template parameters that
this function takes.