Subject: [boost] Performance characteristics of Boost mutex
From: Philip Bennefall (philip_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-10-17 14:49:24

Hi all,

I am detecting some lock contention in my application, and while reading
up on this I came across the concept of lightweight mutexes versus
supposedly non-lightweight mutexes. I am wondering, can Boosts
non-recursive mutex implementation be considered lightweight? In
boost/detail I see lightweight_mutex. Should I be using that? I need no
interprocess support here, and I want the lock to be as fast as
possible. If I do decide to use lightweight_mutex, is it compatible with
the regular non-recursive Boost mutex so that I can use it with higher
level classes like lock guard, condition variables, barriers etc?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall