Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in a library for string-convertible enums?
From: Rob Stewart (robertstewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-10-29 14:45:01

On October 29, 2014 6:04:45 AM EDT, Felix Uhl <felix.uhl_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>Gavin Lambert wrote:
>
>> - can specify a custom string value that the enum value generates
>(not
>> just the BOOST_PP_STRINGIZE).
>
>Yeah I will implement that. Not sure why one would want it, it does
>nothing
>but induce confusion in my eyes, but I’m not the one to tell you what
>to do.

You should not add features because someone on this list asked for them. If you're not convinced of the utility of something, push back to understand the request better.

>> - can specify multiple string values that map to the same enum value.
>
>Hm. I’m not sure if I’d want that, or how that could even be
>implemented.

I presume there can be multiple enumerators with the same value, so I, too, wonder about this request.

>You’ve given me quite some things to work on, but now I’ve got a pretty
>decent feature list.

I wonder what the overhead of all of that will be on terms of compilation time and resources, runtime behavior, and memory usage. If you make the library too heavy, few will use it.

___
Rob