Subject: Re: [boost] [ANN] "The Boost C++ Libraries", 2nd edition available
From: Joel de Guzman (djowel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-01 23:11:06

On 10/31/14, 5:20 AM, Boris Schäling wrote:
> Just a quick announcement: The 2nd edition of my book "The Boost C++ Libraries" is available.
>
> - It introduces 72 Boost libraries.
> - It contains more than 430 examples.
> - The print version has about 570 pages.
> - There is also a Kindle, Epub and PDF version.
> - It's even online: <http://theboostcpplibraries.com/>
>
> A special "thank you" goes to Niall who handled this year's Google Summer of Code program
> so smoothly that I as a backup admin didn't need to do anything - and had enough time to
> work on the book. :)

Very nice! This gives me an idea how to write easy to read tutorials.

I might have more comments, but one will suffice for now:

Fusion:
"boost::fusion::push_back() returns a new vector. The vector v isn’t changed. The new
vector is a copy of the original vector with the added element."

That is not correct. push_back returns a view, not a container:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_56_0/libs/fusion/doc/html/fusion/algorithm/transformation/functions/push_back.html

"Returns a view which is lazily evaluated."

This makes push_back very efficient at runtime.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.ciere.com