Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Incubator Status Report
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-06 11:43:18

Vladimir Prus-3 wrote
> Rather, the question is what we're trying to really achieve. One can come
> up
> with all sorts of things, like:
>
> - Gather interest on potential new libraries
> - Easily comment on code
> - Easily comment on documentation
> - Run tests on potential submissions
>
> and these can have multiple technical solution, like using social
> networks,
> gerrit-style code annotation, medium-style documentation comments, and
> changes to the test framework, but it does not appear there's a decision
> what we want to achieve.

The above list doesn't describe what MY goals for the incubator are. I'm not
saying they're necessary unworthy - just that i haven't had them in mind.

Here is what intend to achieve with the Boost Library Incubator

- Increase submissions of quality libraries by:
        - giving advice on how to do it - and allowing others to post their
own advice if they disagree.
        - providing a place where the current state of a library can be
found and displayed
        - promote the testing of libraries by users on their own machines
and the posting of results to a common area.
        - promote the concept of sponsorship of library authors by deep
pockets organizations who depend upon specific libraries.
- Promoting and supporting the Boost Review format and system by:
        - de-coupling the review from a specific time frame.
        - Keeping comments and reviews linked to library for future
reference by users looking to use a library.
- Increase the usage of boost and pre-boost libraries by providing potential
users more information:
        - providing an amazon-like system for rating libraries based on
reviews.
        - Keeping comments and reviews linked to library for future
reference by users looking to use a library.
        - Defining a minimal but universal set of requirements including
           - Browsable documentation
           - library tests
           - boost compatible directory structure
           - Build/Test system

And of course subject to the constraint that I can actually make a system
which does this in a short amount of time and resources so that the system
can evolve.

This is pretty concise list of what I hope to achieve. I'm pleased with the
results regarding some of the goals, less pleased with others. But I'm
hoping with a little incremental tweaking, I'll continue to make progress.

Robert Ramey