Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Incubator Status Report
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-08 10:17:52

Rob Stewart-6 wrote
> When interviewing C++ developers, I find those using Boost libraries, at
> least beyond shared_ptr, are rare. The brand is known by relatively few,
> and it is used, to any significant extent, by fewer still. That implies
> the need to grow our ranks through some form of advertising.

To me this is a huge issue. I see huge opportunities for improvement in the
standard of coding and software design of C++ software. I'm familiar with
other programming systems and I found they all pale in comparison to the
power of C++ in abstraction and development. C++ is not without it's
problems however. Without
into them, I can say that I see a huge need and opportunity for Boost to
move beyond backfilling the standard
library into the promotion/education/demonstration of how programming really
should be. Rather than
hacking together all sorts of stuff and adding a layer of tests to flush out
the design problems, as has been
done for the last 40 years, I want to encourage more intentional formal
design - not just by experts but by
"the rest of us". The incubator is much more than a common facade over a
few libraries. It is meant to
show how quality software should be built. Right now, it has only my own
views on this - lol - but no one
has criticized them. I've always felt that Boost was great - but could be a
lot better. I want to promote
a higher standard - especially in the area of documentation, design,
usability, corrections, etc for boost
and by implication the rest of the world. I am not modest.

It's a work in progress - but I think I'm on the correct path. Anyone who
shares this vision is free to get
on board.

Robert Ramey