Subject: [boost] RFC/patch: compile boost on Android for platform development
From: Wagner, David (david.wagner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-12 08:30:17

        Hi,

We are evaluating the pros and cons of using Boost for platform development on
Android. We have successfully built and run Asio's "chat" server and client
examples on an Android device running Lollipop.

The C++ support seems to have been greatly improved since KitKat. Even though it
is still early to say that all of Boost runs ok, all the Asio unit tests passed
with "*** No errors detected" except the multicast test.

I've attached a patch that adds Android makefiles to relevant libraries for
compiling Boost.Asio. It's a first draft and it doesn't use the git submodules.
The development of this patch has been made on top of the 1.56.0 tag.

Platform development on android is different than native development ("NDK",
used for JNI libraries). There seem to have been several efforts made for Boost
support on NDK but we haven't found any for platform development (which is aimed
at device support, e.g., HAL development, native tools).

Is there an interest for maintaining a set of Android makefiles on vanilla Boost
? I understand someone would need to run the regression tests on Android; is
there any other such requirement ?

Kind Regards,

--
David Wagner