Subject: Re: [boost] [sort] Re: [review] Formal review period for Sort library begins today, November 10, and ends Wednesday, November 1
From: Steven Ross (spreadsort_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-13 00:50:50

Niall,

On Mon Nov 10 2014 at 1:05:28 PM Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Sounds good. You'd get a graph of CPU cycle scaling to N looking
> like:
>
> http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedtries/images/LogLogBitwise
> TreesScaling.png
> <http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedtries/images/LogLogBitwiseTreesScaling.png>
>
> http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedtries/images/LogLogRedBlac
> kTreesScaling.png
> <http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedtries/images/LogLogRedBlackTreesScaling.png>
>
> http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedtries/images/LogLogHashTab
> leScaling.png
> <http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedtries/images/LogLogHashTableScaling.png>
>
> For your situation you just sort, so a combined graph showing a
> comparative to other algorithms makes much more sense.

I've created an integer_sort graph here (click the graph tab at the bottom):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fUvIJQPaAbsUv54RGgNd-hWmJY996qvocaw-ylnUDG0/edit?usp=sharing

If that's what you're looking for, I can create the equivalent graph for
string_sort too. The crossover point of about 1000 elements is quite
visible, and both std::sort and integer_sort have some minor
parallelization inefficiency, but I see no surprises, and expect none for
string_sort.