Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Formal review period for Sort library continuing through November 19
From: Steven Ross (spreadsort_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-17 06:43:19

Julian,

I updated the first paragraph in the introduction to make clearer what
this library is NOT good for, and added the change to the develop
branch. Here is the new first paragraph.
"The Boost Sort library provides a generic implementation of
high-speed sorting algorithms that outperform those in the C++
standard in both average and worst case performance when there are
over 1000 elements in the list to sort. They fall back to std::sort on
small data sets. These algorithms only work on random access
iterators. They are hybrids using both radix and comparison-based
sorting, specialized to sorting common data types, such as integers,
floats, and strings. These algorithms are encoded in a generic fashion
and accept functors, enabling them to sort any object that can be
processed like these basic data types. In the case of string_sort,
this includes anything with a defined strict weak ordering that
std::sort can sort, but writing efficient functors for some complex
key types may not be worth the additional effort relative to just
using std::sort, depending on how important speed is to your
application. Sample usages are available in the samples directory."