Subject: Re: [boost] List of C++ 11 only Boost libraries and their status?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-24 16:09:59

On 24 Nov 2014 at 19:03, Pete bartlett wrote:

> >> Technically, all libraries in Boost are C++11. What's your point?
> >
> > C++11 *only*. (or more precisely >= C++11)
> > ie won't work in anything less
>
> I think it *is* worth asking "what's the point". For end users whether a
> particular library uses c++11 features is more-or-less irrelevant - they
> have a set of real world compilers to support (or justify upgrade from)
> and so they would love clear statements about what compilers a
> particular library works on.

I would hope any new C++ 11 only Boost libraries would be CI tested
per commit on all the popular compilers, and I certainly would object
to any Boost documentation without a clear statement of tested
compilers (though I much prefer a realtime CI test dashboard like
https://boostgsoc13.github.io/boost.afio/).

> Of course it is not trivial for an author
> to supply such a statement - bits of the library may require more modern
> c++ than other parts - or the minimum feature set required may be
> inherited from a library used internally by the implementation and this
> might also change from release to release...

SG-10 are developing feature test macros. Pretty much all the
compilers with C++ 14 features are adhering to them. Support is
considerably more patchy for C++ 11 features, and MSVC currently
refuses to support them at all.

I have a header file which creates a consistent set of SG-10 feature
test macros on all the three major compilers including older ones at
https://github.com/ned14/Boost.BindLib/blob/master/include/cpp_feature
.h. Some may find it useful.

Niall

--