Subject: Re: [boost] [review] [sort] Sort library review manager results
From: Steven Ross (spreadsort_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-28 06:31:33

On Thu Nov 27 2014 at 12:01:29 PM Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> > We already have an "algorithm" directory, so it might make sense to add a
> > "sort" sub-directory and category with "spreadsort" as the first specific
> > sort to be added.
>
> Do you mean a directory structure of:
>
> boost
> libs
> algorithm
> sort
> spreadsort
> ... possible other sorts
>
> ?
>
> Does this work with modular boost, submodules, and the Boost Build
> system ? Hasn't there been lots of discussions of the difficulty of
> having libraries other than directly under boost/libs ? If this is now
> workable and been resolved, both via Git submodules and Boost Build, I
> would agree with your suggestion but is there clear online documentation
> in the modular boost wiki for setting this up ?
>
> The reason I suggested that 'sort' just change to 'spreadsort' was to
> avoid the above problems, but maybe those problems are now completely
> resolved and I just have not kept up with the discussion. Also Steven
> Ross will want to integrate 'spreadsort' into the modular boost
> directory structure and since this is his first contribution to Boost we
> need to make it understandable to him how to do this.

I think we want to keep it a separate library from algorithms for
compatibility with modular boost. boost/libs/spreadsort is fine with me.
An alternative structure would be to have a boost/libs/sort/spreadsort
structure, but in that case I'd be maintaining future sort contributions in
addition to spreadsort to keep it one coherent library (which I'm willing
to do). Are there any preferences?