Subject: Re: [boost] Link dependencies (was: [mpl] [build] [testing] Mergepullrequests)
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-03 15:30:40

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Andrey Semashev wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wednesday 03 December 2014 12:55:35 Peter Dimov wrote:
> >>
> > #if 0
> > // inform boost.build of hidden dependencies
> > # include "boost/mpl/aux_/preprocessed/bcc/_all_.hpp"
> > # include "boost/mpl/aux_/preprocessed/bcc_pre90/_all_.hpp"
> > #endif
> >
> > and 11 copies of the same _all_.hpp header that consists of 47 includes
> and
> > will never change.
>
> I still don't like the idea that we have to mangle the code to guide
> the build system. And I don't want to set a precedent in MPL as I know
> there are many more places where preprocessor is used to include
> headers.

> Ugly and error prone? No more than what's already there, I'd say.
>
> IMHO, either Boost.Build has to parse the code properly,

Is there a build system out there that correctly handles the extent of MPLs
preprocessor driven header inclusion? I'm asking so that we can ascertain
how it could be done.

> or it should
> be guided by its own config files, i.e. Jamfiles.

Don't know what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

> Or it could just
> always link all headers.

It's possible and easy to change the MPL build files to enumerate header
dependencies (it can even be done automatically with globs) with the
"dependency" feature. Sorry if I haven't followed this discussion.. But can
you elaborate what the use cases are?

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything