Subject: Re: [boost] [spinlock] Spin on volatile read, NUMA fairness?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-05 08:29:54

On 5 Dec 2014 at 11:41, Gavin Lambert wrote:

> On 5/12/2014 02:32, Niall Douglas wrote:
> > On Intel the least strong read you can do is an acquire. It makes me
> > very wary of ever using atomics with relaxed because you simply can't
> > test them on Intel. It was a big reason I invested in that ARM board.
>
> I use Relacy Race Detector whenever I want to test anything to do with
> atomics, particularly the weaker orderings. It does require extracting
> the code in question to a little self-contained example along with a bit
> of extra decoration but it works quite well.

Never used that one myself.

I generally use valgrind drd which requires annotation plus clang
threadsanitiser which usually does not. My biggest problem is with
windows only code paths, I have been known to run valgrind on wine :(

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/