Subject: Re: [boost] Use of boost in safety critical work
From: Stephen Kelly (hello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-06 09:55:09

gast128 wrote:

> - source code is available but some of them are very hard to
> understand. Part of this is due to the support of broken compilers, but
> there is also use of non obvious template or preprocessor magic. Also
> there is no consistent code style.

Yes, I'd like to see more removal of ancient compiler support. We've
discussed that a bit, for exactly the reason that it's easier to reason
about and maintain the code:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/244685/focus=244758
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/244685/focus=244867

and I managed to update some stuff, but consensus wasn't fully reached

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/244876/focus=244948

and I think Daniel reverted some of my changes.

And ultimately, in Boost, compiler support is an individual library
maintainers decision.

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/243094/focus=243206

It's unfortunate I think.

Thanks,