Subject: Re: [boost] Use of boost in safety critical work
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-06 11:08:58

Your company has the "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" syndrome. If they
have not even *heard* of Boost, *they* are of Unknown Pedigree?

Ultimately, much of meeting regulators (and insurers) requirements comes down to
code review and, above all, testing.

You can see the source code (though obfuscated by the requirement to cover
compiler 'features') and you can see what tests are carried out. This is
usually more than you can *see* with code from, say, Microsoft. Which is why I
said "What You See Is What You Get".

You can, of course, also be much assured by the prospect suing Microsoft for the
many deficiencies in their code ;-)

That C++ and Boost is being used in car embedded systems should give you some
reassurance, but in the end it is the software engineers who carry the can.
After all, the tools are all a way of producing assembler/machine code.

Enjoy!

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow