Subject: Re: [boost] Use of boost in safety critical work
From: Vladimir Batov (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-07 19:08:30

Quite a few people have already replied on this un-orthodox topic, so I
am not sure if my reply will add any value (likely not). Still, I've
been in rail and airline-related industries too long to remember and
ultimately I second what Robert says below. Safety-critical is different
from, say, embedded and it's mostly about the process and verification,
etc. So, SOUP or no-SOUP any code will have to go through some
verification/approval process... which is not always fun. That said,
once an external library has come through that hurdle of initial
acceptance -- non-SOUP certification so to speak, it does get better
somewhat. Ultimately from my experience it boils down to your
convictions in the value of particular s/w and your standing within the
project. BTW, Boost's been absolutely essential in my work and IMO no
serious project can survive without it.