Subject: Re: [boost] [documentation] Are SVG's in documentation viable now?
From: Alex Perry (Alex.Perry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-08 09:38:25

On 08 December 2014 12:52 John Maddock [mailto:boost.regex_at_[hidden]] wrote:-

> Folks I need your opinions,
>
> Since it's inception, Boost.Math has used PNG versions of equations and
> graphs even though scalable SVG versions have been available.
> Unfortunately, a variety of issues have prevented their use.
> Fortunately, the logjam now appears to have cleared, and use of SVG's
> appears viable.
>
> So... I wonder if I can get folks to point their browsers at
> http://jzmaddock.github.io/doctest/html/svg_test/equations.html and let
> me know if there are any issues? One that I'm aware of, is that the
> equations reference Window's specific fonts, but so far in my tests this
> appears not to be an issue.

Just thought in the light of recent posts on bed-time reading on tablets with boost.book would try this on a mobile device.

On Android Kit-Kat default browser there is some clipping of these equations but I'm not quite sure how you are calculating the width and height for the svg elements since these are just given in your html.

I've attached a screen shot showing the clipping for airy_bi

If I adjust the sizes in the html to say <object type="image/svg+xml" data="equations/airy_bi.svg" width="300" height="125"></object> then no clipping occurs

HTH

Alex

Sorry for re-post if original does get through but the list didn't like the size of the png I attached so I've resent without it - see https://www.dropbox.com/s/oh0r7uqjrn9duyq/Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-19-29.png?dl=0
Which hopefully is accessible.