Subject: Re: [boost] Questions to help me determine export classification of Boost libraries
From: Ben Fritz (benjamin.fritz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-19 16:19:58

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > The author of the ASIO is Christopher M. Kohlhoff
> > who is Australian. I presume it was written there. So shipping ASIO
would
> > not
> > "exporting" it and thus not subject to such laws. Am I missing
something
> > here.
> >

> Yes.. Read this short statement from OSF <
> http://www.opensslfoundation.com/export/README.blurb>. And remember that
> the Software Conservancy (the framework corporation for Boost is in the
> US).

Right. If I compile/link any crypto functionality into software I release,
then I'm "exporting" it. That's about the extent of my knowledge of this.

So, my question is: does Boost.ASIO actually contain encryption? Or does it
rely on OpenSSL for all its encryption? If it does depend on OpenSSL, how
can I determine whether any OpenSSL functionality has made it into the
final *.a or *.lib or *.dylib file?

And, can someone confirm Boost.ASIO is the only library I need to worry
about?

My app does not actually use ASIO, so I do have the option of leaving
Boost.ASIO out of the package I intend to submit internally to my company
as a dependency, but I am trying to include as much of Boost as possible so
that down the road another team can use Boost without going through all
this trouble again.