Subject: Re: [boost] Questions to help me determine export classification of Boost libraries
From: Karen Shaeffer (shaeffer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-19 19:28:28

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 04:14:43PM -0600, Ben Fritz wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >

> > > Right. If I compile/link any crypto functionality into software I
> release,
> > > then I'm "exporting" it. That's about the extent of my knowledge of
> this.
> > >

> > As the last paragraph of that blurb suggests.. You should extend your
> > knowledge with the help of a suitably experienced lawyer.
> >

> Yes, that is why some experts within the company I work for have created a
> questionnaire to help determine the final classification. I am currently
> trying to fill out that questionnaire, but since I have no technical
> knowledge of the Boost libraries' codebases, I am posting on this list to
> get the knowledge I need about the libraries themselves. Knowing *what*
> knowledge I need has already been solved by somebody else.

Hi Ben,
I have knowledge of the process to acquire a software export license. And whoever
signs the paperwork must know with 100% certainty that all information provided is
100% correct, else the company and individual can be prosecuted. There is no provision
for someone to say, "I thought it was OK." My advice is to only include the boost
libraries that are necessary for the release to limit your liability. And then
you need to find a lawyer and consultant who can help you understand what you
need to do to certify that software for US export. Asking questions here is not
going to satisfy your requirements. Anyone here can say whatever they believe,
but it will not carry any weight on those export license forms that your company
must complete, sign, and submit to the government in order to legally export the
software.

Karen

--
Karen Shaeffer                 Be aware: If you see an obstacle in your path,
Neuralscape Services           that obstacle is your path.        Zen proverb