Subject: Re: [boost] [compute] some comments
From: Kyle Lutz (kyle.r.lutz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-22 17:48:16

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 4:32 AM, Mathias Gaunard
<mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not know if I'll be doing a full review, but I have some comments from
> having skimmed through the code and documentation.
>
> From a quick glance, from all the algorithms that are supported, quite a few
> are not easy to implement with the OpenCL programming model efficiently.
>
> I think the documentation should say more about the implementation
> strategies of each algorithm, its complexity and how much it is
> parallelized.

Yes, implementing some algorithms in parallel can be much more
challenging than implementing their sequential counterparts. But I
don't think this challenge is insurmountable and I think we've had
fairly good success in Boost.Compute (though, as always, there is
never-ending work to be done on performance optimization).

I'll work on improving the documentation for the algorithms as it
relates to performance characteristics. For now the best resource
would be the performance page [1] or running the performance
benchmarks [2] manually on your system.

Thanks for the feedback!

-kyle

[1] http://kylelutz.github.io/compute/boost_compute/performance.html