Subject: Re: [boost] [SORT] Parallel Algorithms
From: Steven Ross (spreadsort_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-23 06:49:28

Francisco,

On Tue Dec 23 2014 at 3:31:32 AM Francisco José Tapia <fjtapia_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> We can do too a benchmark with variable lenght elements with strings.
>
> If you prepare the operations for to do in that test, I can prepare an
> additional benchmark with all the algorithms and your operations.
>
> After all, we see and take a decision
>
> Yours
>
> Francisco

The approach I've used with the boost::sort library is to set up the
benchmark tests so that they read in a file of random data generated by a
single application (randomgen), or any other file that is passed in for
testing, and they write out their results to file. This enables better
testing and debugging in case there are any problems (I directly diff the
sort results when I can expect them to be identical; tune.pl does this
automatically).
I would prefer if you used stringsample.cpp and int64.cpp as examples of
how to do this, and downloaded the boost sort library and added any
modifications you need into that code. The library has a tune.pl script
that runs the benchmarks. It may be helpful to write some utility
templated funciton to switch between different algorithms, instead of the
current approach of using a "-std" switch to use std::sort.
https://github.com/spreadsort/sort
There is a README there on how to install it using modular boost.