Subject: [boost] [block_ptr] Region Based Memory Managment
From: Phil Bouchard (philippeb8_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-23 23:57:52

Greetings Boost,

I was talking to Filip Pizlo from the Webkit community and he pointed
out that block_ptr is what we call a Region Based Memory Manager:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Region-based_memory_management

If we consider the worse case scenario, the sets (regions) can be
unified to create a really big set. So to make block_ptr hybrid we
could add a "garbage collection layer" to detect cycles inside a set
that is not yet destructed. This function could be called explicitly
whenever some memory usage quota is reached. It's very easy to implement.

There is no other way to efficiently manage memory.

Regards,
-Phil