Subject: [boost] SYCL (RE: [compute] review)
From: Gruenke,Matt (mgruenke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-28 18:33:13

-----Original Message-----
From: Boost [mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Kyle Lutz
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2014 14:42
To: boost_at_[hidden] List
Subject: Re: [boost] [compute] review

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 1:54 AM, Gruenke,Matt wrote:

> Others libraries/frameworks (such as SYCL, Bolt, C++AMP, OpenACC, etc.)
> are all dependent on either a special compiler or special compiler extensions.

According to Khronos, that's incorrect.

    The provisional specification includes the following features:

    * Specifications for creating C++ template libraries and compilers
      using the C++11 standard

    * Easy to use, production grade API - built on-top of OpenCL and SPIR(tm)

    * Compatible with standard CPU C++ compilers across multiple platforms,
      as well as enabling new SYCL device compilers to target OpenCL devices

    * Asynchronous, low-level access to OpenCL features for high performance
      and low-latency - while retaining ease of use

Source: https://www.khronos.org/opencl/sycl

If it didn't depend on C++11, or Boost would drop the C++03 compatibility requirement for new libraries, I'd even recommend using their C++ abstractions instead of Boost.Compute's custom core.

Matt

This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressees named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in respect of any information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and immediately destroy this e-mail and its attachments.