Subject: [boost] [filesystem] Request for help with unresolved tickets
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-29 11:20:47

Boost.Filesystem has roughly 140 unresolved tickets, and far too many are
more that a year old. Some are up to four years old.

That's horrible, and entirely my fault. I really dislike processing most
bug reports, so leave them until I have nothing else to do, which is
roughly never.

But a few bug reports are actually fun to process. These are the ones that
provide a little test program that unambiguously illustrates the problem
and includes full information about the compiler, platform, version of
boost, etc.

To encourage more such dream tickets, I've added a little bug reporting
framework with docs to filesystem's develop branch. It depends on a new
header (boost/detail/lightweight_test_report.hpp) that's been added to the
detail library's develop branch. The hope is that this will lead to more
test programs that make it easy to reproduce bugs to (1) speed my
processing of tickets and (2) ease handing off tickets to other developers
for fixes.

There are several ways boosters can help:

* Review and try out the instructions at
http://boostorg.github.io/filesystem/issue_reporting.html. (Don't expect
all links to work.) Were you able to easily follow these instructions? What
would you like to see added or removed?

* Look through the bugs in https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/report/53, pick
one you think would benefit from a test program, and add a test program as
described in http://boostorg.github.io/filesystem/issue_reporting.html. (Do
a git pull on develop branch of detail and filesystem libraries first.)
Were you able to easily follow these instructions? What would you like to
see added or removed?

Thanks,

--Beman