Subject: Re: [boost] Synchronization (RE: [compute] review)
From: Thomas M (firespot71_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-30 07:36:49

On 30/12/2014 09:55, Gruenke,Matt wrote:
> [...]

Ok I missed the non-iterator cases and see your point.

If you are going to implement such RAII guards here's a short wish-list
of features / guard classes:

a) make guards "transferable" across functions
b) a container of guards and/or a guard for a wait_list as whole
c) a guard for a command-queue as whole
[possibly guards for other classes as well]

a) + b) because something like this is really useful:

void foo()
{
   // setup all memory objects etc.

   some_guard guard;
   make_async_copy(..., guard);

   some_guard_container cont;
   // or cont is a wait_list on which a guard can be placed

   more_async_copies(..., cont);
   yet_more_async_copies(..., cont);
   even_more_async_copies(..., cont);
   cont.wait();

   some_guard guard2;
   make_async_copy(..., guard2);
}

The functions ...async_copy thus can launch asynchronous operations but
themselves do not wait on return; ownership of initially obtained guards
gets passed on to foo. And a single guard can refer to multiple
events/asynchronous operations as a whole group.

With c) I have something like this in mind:

{
some_cmd_queue_guard qu_guard(queue);

cq.enqueue_write_buffer_async(...);
transform(..., queue); // implicitly async
cq.enqueue_read_buffer_async(...);

// here automatic synchronization occurs
}

where the destructor of some_cmd_queue_guard calls queue.finish(), or
similar. So there is no need to place a separate guard on every single
operation, for regularly executing code at the end of the block
automatic synchronization with the host occurs, and in the case of an
exception automatic protection is given.

Thomas