Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Build files at superproject root
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-31 11:06:12

JürgenHunold wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 31. Dezember 2014, 17:35:18 schrieb Peter Dimov:
> > Currently, the Boost root contains the following files:
> >
> > boost-build.jam
> > boostcpp.jam
> > boostcpp.py
> > bootstrap.bat
> > bootstrap.sh
> > Jamroot
> >
> > which are part of Boost.Build and so their rightful place is in the
> > submodule.
>
> No, they are needed to _build_ all other Boost libraries. They are not
> part of Boost.Build itself, which works fine without those files.

I understand the distinction, in principle, between Boost.Build as a general
build system and Boost.Build as what builds Boost, and from such a point of
view, I'm sure you're right.

But in practice, I think that these two parts (a) are tightly coupled and
need to be updated in lockstep and (b) are maintained by the same people at
the same time.

So from a physical organization point of view, they seem the same module to
me.