Subject: Re: [boost] Directory structure not quite right yet?
From: Brian Schrom (brian.schrom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-31 12:11:25

On 12/31/2014 03:28 PM, Peter Dimov wrote:
>Typically, when some library is installed in, say, $LIB, its headers
>reside in $LIB/include and its .a/.lib files in $LIB/lib. Our
>libraries, when built, go to $BOOST/stage/lib, which is close
>enough. But our header directory is just $BOOST, which doesn't seem
>right, as the whole of Boost is accessible through it.
>
>It makes sense, at least to me, to have the headers in
>$BOOST/include/boost, instead of just $BOOST/boost. The transition to
>Git would have been a good time to switch to that - there were enough
>other changes to the structure.
>
>I'm not saying that we should switch right away or something like that,
>but am I the only one to whom such a switch (at some unspecified time
>in the future) seems a good idea?

Has there been more thought or consideration for the distribution of
Boost and how it's packaged? If one is working from the Boost source
tree, seems like they are in boost developer mode. If they are
developing another project that uses Boost and Boost tools, then it
seems like they'd want an installation, possibly a specific version, of
Boost maybe in /usr/local/boost-1.57. There are distribution packages
of Boost, but maybe there is something similar to the current stage
target that makes it feel like it's more of a distribution package than
working in the source tree. Just my rambling thoughts.