Subject: Re: [boost] [test] boost.test owner unresponsive to persistent problems for multiple years
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-03 02:47:28

On 2 Jan 2015 at 21:01, Richard wrote:

> It's not fixed until it shows up in a released version of boost.
>
> Five years is long enough to wait, any reasonable observer would
> conclude at this point that there is noone seriously working to fix
> anything in this library and they'll just use google test which
> releases fixes promptly.

As with anything open source, either you fork and make improvements
yourself or you must accept the pace and quality of improvements by
others, including acceptance of any code you donate for the
maintainer to merge as and when they decide.

For most usage of Boost.Test, it's relatively straightforward to
emulate the Boost.Test macros with another test framework like CATCH
or Google Test. Forthcoming BindLib provides a lightweight emulation
of Boost.Test using CATCH and it works very well for my (limited) use
extent of Boost.Test in my libraries. CATCH can output results
Jenkins can consume just like Boost.Test as well. I've found it very
useful for header only Boost usage, no Boost installation or
compilation required. You might consider the effort of porting your
libraries over to BindLib if you can make do without C++ 03, then
Boost.Test becomes optional for you.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting