Subject: Re: [boost] Futures
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-05 06:07:00

On 5 Jan 2015 at 0:01, Mathias Gaunard wrote:

> > I'm really happy about this discussion here. Can you clarify what you mean
> > by a future being type erased? You don't mean to say a future is a
> > future<any>, do you?
>
> Presumably that the type of the future does not contain the type of the
> callable function object it contains, thus requiring dynamic memory
> allocation and indirection.

An interesting mind binder is if one makes ASIO's async_result
vtabled i.e. a listener class.

That would make async_result ABI stable, and eliminate most of the
rationale for improving futures, arguably even the present approach
by Microsoft and the committee on how to do resumable functions.

I am personally surprised that Chris hasn't proposed this yet in one
of this N-papers proposing the ASIO way of doing async instead of the
current approach by the committee :)

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting