Subject: Re: [boost] bpm, a tool to install a modular Boost distribution
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-05 14:53:55

On 5 January 2015 at 19:39, Jürgen Hunold <jhunold_at_gmx.eu> wrote:

>> I think the
>> only reason not to is because Boost.Build is setup to expect that
>> they'll be in the tools directory, which doesn't apply here.
>
> I see no reason that tools/bpm can't be a submodule.

Is there any reason that it should be? The submodule system isn't
great, I'd rather not add things to it for no reason.

It also means adding the tool to the release, which isn't very
appropriate here. If someone has already downloaded the release, they
don't need a tool to download the things they've already got. It also
probably won't work with the contents of the tarball, because the
headers aren't in the same place. A lot of things in tools (e.g.
inspect, boostbook, quickbook) aren't needed by users, they mainly
need to be there because Boost.Build expects them to be. Otherwise I'd
have suggested removing the things I maintain a while ago.