Subject: Re: [boost] Library list generated from meta/libraries.json files
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-05 18:17:54

On 1/5/2015 1:42 PM, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>
>> If we have a full package system, it might want to use a different
>> file format.
>
> I already have a full package system and it uses meta/libraries.json to
> generate the library list because those files already exist. :-)

I am all for the work you are doing by creating a Boost package manager
but a "full" package system would allow library XXX's aa.aa release to
be packaged with library YYY's bb.bb release if they were compatible. In
other words while I greatly applaud and thank you for bpm's ability to
package a subset of Boost from a given Boost tree, a fully modularized
Boost would allow a specific version of an individual library, however
that is eventually specified, to be packaged with a different specific
version of another library if some dependency information indicated that
they will work correctly with each other.

I realize that this is something for the future but if we ever go to a
model where individual Boost libraries can be distributed separately we
will need a system whereby version information and dependency
information is specified somewhere as part of the library's metadata.