Subject: Re: [boost] Directory structure not quite right yet?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-06 12:59:14

seems a
> good idea?
>
> Short response: I think bpm when it goes live should install the new directory
> structure, but we should continue for awhile to ship the monolithic .zip/etc
files with
> the old structure.
>
> Long response: There are several different install directory structures to
consider:

> * The directory structure developers install via git commands. Let's hope that
doesn't
> change greatly for the foreseeable future, although it may evolve slowly.

> *Change here is disruptive to library developers.*

Violent agreement!!!

We've just about scaled the learning curve modularization with GIT (though there
are things that don't always work quite right with b2 headers which worry me
quite a bit).

I'm still not convinced of the benefits but there certainly is a big increase in
complexity. GIT still doesn't solve all the cooperative working issues and has
some mind-blowing effects when working on several branches.

Please can we make sure that BPM (can it be called Boost.Packager or NOT
something acromynic) really does help before making any changes to the layout.
And that it really does work nicely on all the platforms too, not just Linux.

Thanks

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow