Subject: Re: [boost] [chrono] Dependency on math?
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-09 12:25:18

> The latest dependency report shows chrono as having a dependency on math.
>
> See http://www.pdimov.com/tmp/report-develop-3b5a9f4/module-overview.html
>
> math is really big. In testing bpm, an install of timer (which depends
> on chrono) slowed noticeably when it got to math. Presumably the build
> is also much slower, although I haven't tested that yet.
>
> Is the math dependency really needed?

Longer term the better solution would be to repackage Math as several
smaller packages. However, Paul and I have worked hard to try to make a
wide range of functionality part of a coherent whole, and I would hate
to loose that. Which is my plea to not just hack it apart in a hurry ;-)

Of course since we haven't had any kind of package management until now,
this has basically been a non-issue up till now.

John.