Subject: Re: [boost] [chrono] Dependency on math?
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-09 13:43:01

Le 09/01/15 16:13, Beman Dawes a écrit :
> The latest dependency report shows chrono as having a dependency on math.
>
> See http://www.pdimov.com/tmp/report-develop-3b5a9f4/module-overview.html
>
> math is really big. In testing bpm, an install of timer (which depends
> on chrono) slowed noticeably when it got to math. Presumably the build
> is also much slower, although I haven't tested that yet.
>
> Is the math dependency really needed?

The dependency is on

      |<boost/math/common_factor_rt.hpp>|

  * from |<boost/chrono/io/duration_get.hpp>|
  * from |<boost/chrono/io_v1/chrono_io.hpp>|

Of course, I can duplicate this function for my specific case, but I
think this is not a good approach. I could suggest to move this file to
integer which is at level 2 :)

Reducing dependencies could improve compilation times and it could
surely be the case here as chrono needs only a specific gcd, but I will
not expect too much gain.

Best,
Vicente