Subject: Re: [boost] [Test][Thread] Regression since 9 December?
From: Raffi Enficiaud (raffi.enficiaud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-14 12:10:35

Jürgen Hunold <jhunold <at> gmx.eu> writes:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 14. Januar 2015, 14:27:26 schrieb Adam Wulkiewicz:
> > Hi Raffi,
>
> > I saw that you tried to "fix" the issue in the latest commits to Test
> > but it didn't help. It's still required to link against Timer or Test,
> > see e.g. the failing Atomic tests vs the Geometry tests.
>
> I've pushed a fix in https://github.com/boostorg/atomic/pull/4

Many thanks for helping fixing the mess.

> This automatically pull in the dependency on Boost.Timer. This also works
with
> the master version of Boost.Test, it can be merged to master before
Boost.Test
> gets updated.
>
> > So currently the usage of header-only version of Test probably has
> > little sense.
>
> It still requieres linking against Boost.Timer. The correct solution would be
> to implement an optional header-only version of Boost.Timer.

+1 Initially I thought this was a header only library which also made us
move from the old to the new API.

> Yours,
>
> Jürgen

Thank you Jürgen!
Please also note that there is a clash in the new and old timer API:

http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/Sandia-clang-boost-bin-v2-libs-geometry-test-algorithms-buffer-multi_point_buffer-test-clang-darwin-4-2-1-debug.html

It is impossible to use the old and new API at the same time, as there is a
namespace in the old API and a class in the new API with the same name.
In boost.test we chose to use the new one and drop support for the old one.
This was of course before we discovered that so many problem raised.

I made the changes in boost.geometry, I am preparing a pull request for
addressing these issues. Some other libraries also suffer from this apparently:
- asio: looks like linking at the same time to shared and static version of
system, might be generated by the changes in boost.test (I have to look further)
- atomic: link missing
- circular_buffer: link missing
- lockfree: same as asio
- numeric/ublas: link missing
- pool: maybe the same as asio
- tr1 : unclear what is happening here
- regex: link missing
- random: link missing

The problems seen on geometry/extension do not seem to be produced by the
changes in boost.test:
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/geometry-extensions.html

BTW, it is hard to see the problems created by a range of commits. How to
proceed? For instance, there are problems in boost.icl
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/Sandia-clang-boost-bin-v2-libs-icl-test-chrono_interval_set_mixed-test-clang-darwin-4-2-1-debug-link-static.html
and I do not know if they were provoked by the changes in boost.test.

Tests in geometry/test/robustness/overlay/linear_areal do not compile on my
machine.
Also there is an indirect inclusion of boost.timer from
./include/boost/geometry/algorithms/detail/overlay/assign_parents.hpp
./include/boost/geometry/algorithms/detail/overlay/overlay.hpp

which produces a clash in the use of boost.timer.